Comprehensive and research based, the second edition of NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training is the resource to rely on for personal training information and guidance. With state-of-the-art knowledge regarding applied aspects of personal training as well as clear explanations of supporting scientific evidence, NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training, Second Edition, is also the authoritative preparation text for those preparing for the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT) exam.
This essential reference was developed by the NSCA to present the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for personal trainers. With contributions from leading authorities in the field, the text will assist both current and future personal trainers in applying the most current research to the needs of their clients:
- A discussion on nutrition outlines the role of the personal trainer in establishing nutrition guidelines, including the application of nutrition principles for clients with metabolic concerns.
- The latest guidelines on client assessment from prominent organizations—such as the American Heart Association (AHA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)—keep personal trainers up to speed on the latest assessment protocols.
- New information is presented on flexibility training and cardiovascular exercise prescription as well as a discussion of research on the effectiveness of stability ball training.
- Revised information on design of resistance training programs incorporates the latest information on the application of periodization of training.
- New information addressing injuries and rehabilitation prepares personal trainers to work with clients with special concerns such as orthopedic conditions, low back pain, ankle sprains, and hip arthroscopy.
- New guidelines for determining resistance training loads will assist those whose clientele includes athletes.
- A variety of fitness testing protocols and norms allows readers to select from several options to evaluate each component of fitness.
- A new instructor guide and image bank aid instructors in teaching the material to students.
NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training, Second Edition, focuses on the complex process of designing safe, effective, and goal-specific resistance, aerobic, plyometric, and speed training programs. Featuring over 200 full-color photos with accompanying technique instructions, this resource offers readers a step-by-step approach to designing exercise programs with special attention to the application of principles based on age, fitness level, and health status. Using comprehensive guidelines and sample clients portrayed in the text, readers can learn appropriate ways to adjust exercise programs to work with a variety of clients while accommodating each client’s individual needs.
Personal trainers will appreciate the book’s presentation of detailed exercise programming guidelines for specific populations. Modifications and contraindications to exercise are given for prepubescent youth, older adults, and athletes as well as for clients who are overweight or obese or have eating disorders, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, hyperlipedimia, spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, and cerebral palsy. In addition, the book provides clear, easy-to-understand guidelines for initial client consultation and health appraisal.
For those preparing for the NSCA-CPT exam, this second edition features new and revised study questions at the end of each chapter. These questions are written in the same style and format as those found on the NSCA-CPT exam to fully prepare candidates for exam day.